List of Halls of Residence in University Of Ibadan (2024)

The University of Ibadan popularly known as UI was founded in 1948 with just 104 students. Then before it became a full-fledged independent institution, it was known as the College of the University of London. It became an independent institution in 1962. The university started with 3 faculties; Arts, Science, and Medicine.

The University of Ibadan has ten halls of residence for undergraduates. Nine of which is situated on the school’s main campus while the tenth is built in the College of Medicine for Clinical students.

Three of the hostels on the main campus are for females while the other six are meant for males. Below are the ranks of the hostels, male and female, respectively.

Male hostels

6) Nnamdi Azikwe Hall

Zik” hall as it is called by many was named after the first governor-general of independent Nigeria, Dr Nnamdi Azikwe. He was the first president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The first occupants of the hall came in the 1963/64 session. The great Baluba republic is known for its “Aro“, the yearly “common pot” and “stinking bathrooms“. It houses the second most patronized cafeteria “Boluid Restaurant“. ” Zikites” are the most intelligent students.

5) Great Independence Hall

The “Katanga Republic” is located at the end of the el-kanemi road. It was named and formally opened in 1961 in commemoration of the attainment of Nigeria’s independence. The hall is the home of “Yamburger” and “Oluchi’s Toast“. “Indy Hall” is also known for its ” Aro“, ” common pot” and “the dumpster” which is right beside its exit gate.

4) Lord Tedder Hall

The hall was named after Lord Tedder who formally opened the present site of the school’s main campus on the 17th of November in the year,1952 when the hall was also opened. It is located to the west of the University Court. Lord Tedder Hall houses the most patronized hall cafeteria.

3) Kenneth Mellanby Hall

Mellanby Hall is the first residential hall in the University of Ibadan. It was named after the first Principal of the University College Hospital, Kenneth Mellanby. It was opened on the 17th of November, 1952. The hall is located to the north of the University Court. Beside the Hall is the University Bookshop.

2) Sultan Bello Hall

The Hall was named after the late Muhammed Bello. He was a poet, scholar, administrator, and soldier. It was opened in 1963 by the late Sir Ahmadu Bello who is the grandson of Muhammed Bello. In the hall is a Dom called “Bello Dom“. Several activities are held in the Dom. It is situated to the west of Kuti Hall, along Niger Road.

1) Ransome Kuti Hall

The hall of residence was named after the late Rev. Israel Oladotun Ransome Kuti. He was a musicologist and an educationist. The hostel was formally opened in the year 1954. It is located at the eastern end of the Niger Road and opposite it, we have the Wole Soyinka Theatre. The hostel is seen as the hostel for the rich boys or those with connections which is not true. They are known for “stable electricity“.

See also:

What It Is Like To Be A Student Of University Of Ibadan (UI)

Remarkable History: 10 Facts You Probably didn’t Know about University of Ibadan

Female hostels

3) Obafemi Awolowo Hall

This Hall of Residence had once served as the second formal postgraduate hall of the University but it was later changed to serve as the hostel for both the male and female genders. But in the past years, “Awo” Hall now serves as an abode for the female gender only. It is located off barth road. It is said that the Hall of Residence is the largest female hostel in sub-Saharan Africa.

2) Queen Elizabeth II hall

The hall of residence was the first female undergraduate hall and it was named after Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the Queen of Great Britain and Northern Ireland who had visited the University of Ibadan in February 1956. She performed the formal opening of the Hall. The hall is located along Oduduwa Road. It is known for its “ever-strict porters“.

1) Queen Idia Hall

The hostel is named after Queen Idia, a Bini Queen who lived in the 15th century. She was the mother of Esigie, an Oba of Benin. She is known for her magical and medicinal knowledge. Idia was the first woman in the Benin Kingdom then who started the fight for women’s rights. She was a warrior who led the Binis to the battle of Idah and was victorious even though, she was a woman.
The hall was built in 1975 while another block was added to it during the 1992/1993 session. It is located along Barth Road, adjacent to the International School Ibadan (ISI) and opposite Abubakar Abdulsalami Hall (a postgraduate hall).

The mixed hall

The last Hall of Residence which is the Alexander Brown Hall which is located in the College of Medicine is a mixed hostel for the student of Clinical Sciences. The hostel houses both the female and male genders. It was opened in the year 1957 and was named after the late Professor Alexander Brown who was the first Professor of Medicine of the University in the year 1971.

Each and every hall of residence has its own uniqueness. What do you think should be added to some hall description that wasn’t added? Drop them in the comments section.